Reports to: Director of Operations
Gang Alternative, Inc. (GA) is a leading CARF-accredited (Commission on Accreditation of
Rehabilitation Facilities) community-based organization implementing programming in MiamiDade and Broward Counties, providing a holistic approach to building character that lasts. We
currently provide services and programming under our five pillars of service: (i) Positive Youth
Development; (ii) Family Strengthening; (iii) Workforce Development; (iv) Community
Upliftment and Partnerships; and (v) Health and Wellness. Our programs aim to eliminate the
“gang” mentality of individuals and their families which often confines them to a life of crime,
violence, and all forms of delinquency and dependency.
The Communications and Outreach Manager is GA’s “Brand Manager” and is in charge of
increasing GA’s visibility by managing all communications plan activities and the brand image,
designing marketing materials, and building external relationships with GA’s constituencies,
including funders and the media. He/she will set and guide the strategy for all communications,
website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate Gang Alternative,
Inc.’s mission. The Communications and Outreach Manager controls the flow of information
between the organization and the public and builds and sustains GA’s reputation for quality,
reliability, and client satisfaction. He/she is responsible for
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop and implement cohesive communications and marketing strategies.
• Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic
content (optimized for search engines). This includes managing GA’s website and social
media accounts, as well as monitoring its social media and online presence and
coordinating webpage maintenance to ensure that new and consistent information (article
links, stories, and events) is posted regularly.
• Develop branding initiatives.
• Make sure that all promotional and marketing materials meet the GA’s brand identity
• Design and execute programs to deliver communications objectives throughout the
organization. This includes developing internal communications such as newsletters,
releases, email announcements, planned publications, on-line, video, special projects and
• Manage GA’s organization-level outreach activities
• Coordinate meetings and presentations for information dissemination.
• Identify and resolve any issues with promotional content in a timely and professional
• Assess and report on the effectiveness of communication and marketing strategies.
• Organize and direct promotional events.
• Develop strong relationships with media representatives.
• Ensure that all media opportunities are fully vetted.
• Cultivate an environment of readiness and alertness.
• Ensure quality control of all information released.
• Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to
test the effectiveness of communications activities
• Track and measure the level of engagement within GA’s networks over time
• Any other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, English, Public Relations or
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a marketing or communications position,
preferably in a non-profit setting in an “in-house” leadership role within a diverse
(number and variety of constituents) nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as website
content, newsletters, and donor communications.
• The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful message and
disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
• Possess a solid understanding of effective marketing techniques.
• Must have excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
• Extensive list of media contacts.
• Be able to communicate clearly and effectively.
• Strong time-management and organizational skills.
• Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications and
• Strong and confident leadership.
• Awareness of and proficiency with communications technologies.
• Experience in stakeholder/community engagement Clear and concise communication
with team members and management.
• A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key
• Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
• High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to
position communications discussions internally and externally
• Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff,
volunteers, donors, and program participants.
• Self-starter, able to work independently.
• Enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
Gang Alternative, Inc. will offer a competitive compensation package including base salary,
health, 403b and vacation benefits.
Gang Alternative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of
ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or
sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.
This position shall have access to information in a personnel and client’s record only to the
extent that such information is required to carry out job duties. Any information obtained will
only be used by or disclosed to those who have a need to know to ensure the provision of quality
client care. Staff and client information is to be held strictly confidential.
Application letters and resumes should eb sent to hr@MyGa.org