Reporting to the President/Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Director of Programs (DoP) is a part of the executive management team and is responsible for overseeing the general management of all program areas, which includes program development, delivery, reporting and monitoring, as well as fundraising, resource mobilization, budget setting, knowledge management, and all external relationship management.
The DoP maintains supervisory oversight for Program Managers and represents Gang Alternative, Inc. on a local, regional, and national basis, as needed. S/he has a deep knowledge of each program and is responsible for all program planning, organizing, operating, and staffing. S/he is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the program aspects of the annual budget in conjunction with the Director of Operations and the Director of Finance.
S/he is responsible for ensuring that the delivery of Gang Alternative, Inc.’s programs comply with all federal, state, and city regulations, certifications, and licensing requirements. S/he is responsible for ensuring that all programs are audit-ready and operating with excellence.
- At least 10 years of program management experience, evidenced by a proven track record of effectively leading performance-based and outcome-based programs, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- A minimum of five years of executive/senior leadership experience supervising middle management staff.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Human Services or related field.
- Demonstrated experience in recruiting, managing, and developing a strong team of program/project managers.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and operationalizing strategies that have taken a program or organization to the next stage of growth.
- Demonstrated experience in writing local, state, federal, and/or foundation grants.
- Strong relationship builder and communicator with experience leading diverse work teams, developing an organization-wide strategy for program excellence, engaging community partners, and partnering with a CEO and Board of Directors.
- Demonstrates integrity, leads for performance excellence in his/her work, and has demonstrated experience in leading others to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact.
- Can point to tangible examples of reporting and program measurement and evaluation.
- Proficiency in data analysis and performance metrics.
- Proficiency in computer applications including Microsoft Office Suite and Visio.
- Passionate about Gang Alternative, Inc.’s mission and vision and able to promote and communicate the philosophy and values of Gang Alternative, Inc. to external and internal stakeholders.
- Ability to travel (local, state and national) 50% of the time to provide on-site leadership for multi-state operating units and programs.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to use analytical thinking to make critical decisions.
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for Gang Alternative Inc.’s mission and commitment to working collaboratively with a management team of senior professionals.
- Ability to effectively implement strategic planning initiatives with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to build consensus among conflicting points of view through active discussion.
- Ability to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission, and values of Gang Alternative, Inc. to external and internal stakeholders.
- Ability to interrelate and operate effectively with peers and other associates within a collegial, yet demanding, work environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and thrive in a complex environment with multiple priorities.
- Attract, develop, coach, supervise and retain high-performance team members, supporting them in elevating their level of responsibility, span of control, and performance.
- Enhance and implement the organization’s vision as established in Gang Alternative Inc.’s strategic plan.
- Implement and lead a continuous quality improvement process throughout the program and service areas, focusing on systems and process improvement.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence and recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve program goals.
- Prepare and submit monthly programmatic reports to CEO on the status of implementation, program expenditure, challenges in implementation, threats to implementation, and program fidelity and compliance issues along with recommendations for addressing the corresponding issues.
- Make recommendations to the CEO on new program areas and opportunities for organizational growth.
- Work with staff to develop systems to ensure consistent, high-quality project/program management.
- Promote regular and ongoing opportunities for all staff to give feedback on program operations.
- Provide leadership in the development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness, sustaining culture, and supporting staff during organizational growth.
- Expand revenue generation and fundraising activities to support existing programs and the growth of Gang Alternative, Inc.
- Cultivate existing relationships and develop new funder relationships.
- Manage relationships with partner organizations.
- Develop the necessary systems, processes, and tools to better support the facilitation, collection, and sharing of knowledge that is generated by the programs.
- Support the development of a dissemination system to share organizational learning and program outcomes with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Ensure that key project outcomes and/or policy, advocacy, and legislation are evaluated and leveraged for maximum community and organizational impact.
- Work collaboratively with the senior management team to integrate cross-program activities and functions.
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership, as well as stewardship of Gang Alternative, Inc. by being actively involved in all programs and services.
- Prepare and submit an annual programming budget to the CEO for review and approval, manage effectively within this budget, and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
- Play an active role in ensuring continued financial viability of Gang Alternative, Inc.’s program/service units through sound fiscal management.
- Provide programmatic leadership and input for all strategic planning processes with the CEO and staff.
- Develop/research annual grant strategies and lead/assist in the preparation of grant proposals.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare presentations designed to promote Gang Alternative, Inc. programs as educational content for area/regional/state forums.
- Participate in agency meetings, in-service trainings, and workshops as deemed appropriate.
- All other duties as assigned.
This is an outstanding opportunity to lead a highly-effective nonprofit program and partner with the CEO, Board members and senior management team. Gang Alternative, Inc. offers a competitive compensation package including base salary, health, 403b and vacation benefits.
Gang Alternative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen based on ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or sexual identity in accordance with federal and state law.
This position shall have access to information in personnel and client record only to the extent that such information is required to carry out job duties. Any information obtained will only be used by or disclosed to those who have a need to know to ensure the provision of quality client care. Staff and client information is to be held strictly confidential.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties required of personnel so classified. Responsibilities, knowledge, skill, abilities and working conditions may be supplemented or revised at any time.