Title: Substance Abuse Therapist/Addiction Counselor
Reports To: Program Manager Circle of Strength Family Network (COS/COSP)
Employment Type: Full-time
Work Location: Miami-Dade County
The Substance Abuse (SA) Therapist is responsible for providing program support to further the work of the Gang Alternative, Inc.’s (GA) trauma-focused programming including providing behavioral health services in an outpatient community-based program serving children, adolescents and their families. This Therapist specializes in treating patients with a chemical dependency on drugs or alcohol. S/he works with clients to help overcome dependencies and become self-sufficient. The SA Therapist also: facilitates sessions; conducts outreach and recruitment; conducts screenings; administers assessments; prepares client development and treatment plans; creates and maintains client files; coordinates client development activities; monitors and tracks client progress (including administering data collection and evaluation instruments); and facilitates resource development including linking clients to appropriate support services including for residential and detox services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct outreach and recruitment of potential clients based on eligibility requirements.
- Provide initial screenings.
- Provide substance use assessments and mental health assessments that identify service needs and recommend options for care.
- Share assessment findings with clients and their families.
- Involve client and their families in the development of treatment plan goals, objectives and interventions that address their assessed behavioral health needs.
- Provide individual, family and group therapy services.
- Provide case management services to assist clients and their families with access to needed benefits and services
- Provide coordinated care by initiating or participating in client centered consultation with other internal and external providers involved in care or services.
- Reassess and review treatment progress with clients and their families at proscribed intervals.
- Assist in establishing effective communication between Gang Alternative, Inc. and other social agencies serving clients, and the community.
- Work cooperatively with program team members to assure clients timely access to quality service.
- Meet GA’s quality and compliance standard by accurately completing clinical documentation and service reporting in a timely manner.
- Meet or exceed service productivity target.
- Participate in program evaluation and development of service options that best address client need
- Participation in staff training and development seminars.
- Working cooperatively with other GA teams and programs to maintain smooth continuity of care when cases are shared across teams.
- Become familiar with and utilization of outside resources as needed to provide comprehensive services to clients.
- Participate in case supervision with Clinical Supervisor and in regular performance appraisals with Program Manager as directed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCES
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Social Work, Psychology, Counselling or closely related discipline required.
- Certified Addiction Counselor (CAC) or Certified Addiction Professional (CAP) preferred.
- At least one year of clinical experience in alcohol or other drugs.
- Must have supervised experience in providing counseling and/or psychotherapy services.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of and experience in the areas of trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy, diagnostic assessment, long and short-term treatment, family systems theory and group treatment.
- Willingness to work flexible schedules as deemed necessary including weekends and evening
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent organizational skills, dependent and responsive with attention to details and ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to work effectively in team environment, excellent interpersonal skills with positive attitude and maximum discretion when handling sensitive and confidential information.
- Customer service oriented and sensitive to client’s immediate needs.
- Extended knowledge of community and social services in Miami-Dade County.
Gang Alternative, Inc. will offer a competitive compensation package including base salary, health, 403b and vacation benefits.
Gang Alternative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.
This position shall have access to information in a personnel and client’s record only to the extent that such information is required to carry out job duties. Any information obtained will only be used by or disclosed to those who have a need to know to ensure the provision of quality client care. Staff and client information’s are to be held strictly confidential.