Employment Specialist, EFFECT
Gang Alternative, Inc.’s (GA) EFFECT (Encouraging Full Female Engagement in Construction Training) is an integrated, comprehensive program that provides women-focused occupational skills training and linkages to apprenticeship programs, as well as technical assistance to guide employers and unions in engaging women in apprenticeship programs in traditionally male-dominated industry clusters, in particular the construction and building trade.
The GA’s EFFECT Employment Specialist will maintain responsibility for supporting participants in developing personal employment goals, improving employability skills and executing career plans. Additionally, s/he is responsible for promoting and developing employment, work experience and on-the-job training opportunities for Gang Alternative, Inc.’s EFFECT Project. The expected outcomes are consistent with increasing employability skills and employment placement via improved workplace preparedness, attainment of industry-recognized credentials for in-demand occupations in Broward County.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Assist in conducting outreach and in executing recruitment processes consistent with the program goals and objectives.
- Assist in conducting participant intakes, eligibility verification and documentation
- Administer evidence-based assessments.
- Utilize assessment results to inform the development of the participants’ career plan which will take the form of the individual development/case plans which will include employability skills, interests, and identified career pathways.
- Provide guidance and monitor individual participant employment and career development activities as outlined in the case plans in order to track progress of their progress toward attainment of identified employment goals.
- Deliver employability skills training and provide career guidance and mentorship to participants as needed.
- Perform strategic planning for marketing to targeted industries and assigned high-demand occupation business zones as well as to unions and registered apprenticeship programs.
- Initiate and maintain ongoing personal contact with a variety of business and industry representatives including unions and registered apprenticeship programs as well as job placement/training agencies to promote programs for participant placement.
- Regularly engage in employer site visits, contacting businesses throughout Broward County to market Gang Alternative, Inc.
- Identify and engage potential employers for job placement.
- Carry a participant case load for job development/employability skills development, job placement and job retention support.
- Collect data from employers related to job orders including job requirements and skills.
- Match job skills with applicant qualifications; refers qualified applicants to employers and conducts necessary follow-up when applicants are placed in position
- Participate in outreach and recruitment activities by coordinating and attending job fairs.
- Assist in surveying employer satisfaction with current level of service and obtain information about future needs or requests for service improvement.
- Assist participants in assessing their job skills for positions.
- Instruct in job seeking, application procedures, resume writing, interview preparation and job retention.
- Work with participants in preparing job search portfolios.
- Schedule interviews.
- Provide current labor market information and community resources information.
- Monitor participant performance on the job and counsel participants if job performance is not satisfactory.
- Work with participants to improve job performance and gain necessary job skills or reviews other employment options.
- Maintain contact with employers during the participants’ employment and report results to program manager.
- Accurately track, input data, and maintain comprehensive case files (physical and electronic) for participants.
- Conduct frequent one-on-one participant and group sessions.
- Support the coordination and facilitation of GA’s Employer and Industry Advisory Committee.
- Prepare forms and reports related to placement activities and prepare other reports, as required, for submission to funder and other partners via Program Manager.
- Build and maintain key relationships within participants.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Collaborate with the business community for appropriate job placement activities.
- Implement employability skills training and job placement with performance excellence and contract compliance.
- Serves as an Ambassador of Gang Alternative, Inc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and competencies
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Business Administration or related degree preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in delivering employability skills training.
- Demonstrated experience in employer engagement, workforce development, recruiting, business development, marketing or any combination of training and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties as describe
- Familiarity with ways of work of unions and registered apprenticeship programs.
- Demonstrated experience working with un-employed and under-employed women.
- Strong leadership, organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to organize, plan, and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to manage time efficiently and meet deadlines.
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, and results-oriented.
- Ability to work with and engage individuals from diverse cultural, ethnic and social groups.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships and partnerships; maintain confidentiality, professionalism and maturity in handling sensitive information, participant interaction and community relations.
- Knowledge of methods for job development, local labor market trends (labor market information) and employment opportunities.
- Knowledge of the Broward County employment sector landscape.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Must possess a proficiency working with Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to successfully navigate through the Internet, excel, power point, and other applicable software.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position may require independent travel between workstation and other sites. Consequently, the incumbent must always maintain valid Driver’s License and insurance coverage on personal vehicle during employment.
- Performing the duties of this position requires the ability to walk, sit, stand, reach, talk, hear and lift presentation materials, including equipment.
Gang Alternative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.
Gang Alternative, Inc. is a Drug-Free Workplace.
Gang Alternative, Inc. will offer a competitive compensation package including base salary, health, 403b, and vacation benefits.
This position shall have access to information in a personnel and client’s record only to the extent that such information is required to carry out job duties. Any information obtained will only be used by or disclosed to those who have a need to know to ensure the provision of quality client care. Staff and client information’s are to be held strictly confidential.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties required of personnel so classified. Responsibilities, knowledge, skill, abilities and working conditions may be supplemented or revised at any time.
To apply for this career fill out the form below
- Educator for Youth Sexual Risk Avoidance Program
- Care Coordinator, UPLIFT Service Partnership
- Program Manager (Apprenticeship Coordinator), Project EFFECT
- Parent Navigator
- Family Support Specialist
- Case Manager, Re-entry Program
- Youth Prevention Specialist, Violence Intervention Project (VIP)
- Case Manager, Opioid Prevention Project (OPP)
- Employment Specialist/Job Developer, Re-entry Program
- Employment Specialist/Job Developer, Re-entry Program
- Data Coordinator
- Employment Specialist (Pre-release Re-entry Program)
- Employment Specialist, EFFECT
- Youth Prevention Specialist (Violence Prevention Program)
- Substance Abuse Therapist/Addiction Counselor
- Community Health Worker, SUPPORT