Project HERO [Housing, Employment, and Reintegration Opportunities] is funded through the Department of Labor Veterans’ Employment and Training Services. Project HERO aims to address the complex service gaps for homeless minority veterans by providing them with the tools necessary to improve employability and long-term job retention, as aligned with state and local efforts to reduce and eliminate homelessness.
The Project HERO Outreach Specialist will maintain responsibility for conducting outreach efforts to Veterans (in particular homeless Veterans) and working with them to access eligibility, identify resources, and provide linkages to services available in the community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct outreach and execute recruitment process consistent with program goals and objectives.
- Conduct participant intakes, eligibility verification and documentation according to funder and Gang Alternative, Inc.’s guidelines.
- Build and maintain productive relationships with participants.
- Conduct street outreach and work with partners to identify homeless veterans.
- Disseminate marketing and promotional materials.
- Initiate and maintain ongoing contact with a variety of community agencies/organizations and businesses to promote program enrollment and enhance outreach activities.
- Prepare forms and reports related to outreach activities for submission to funder and other partners via Senior Program Manager.
- Participate in related community activities and events for recruitment purposes.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Services or related field.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations, including homeless and Veteran populations.
- Extensive knowledge of the Broward County’s social services landscape.
- Demonstrated experience recruiting members of the veteran or homeless population or social service programming is preferred.
- Ability to organize, plan, and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to manage time efficiently and meet deadlines.
- Self-reliant and results oriented.
- Ability to work with and engage individuals from diverse cultural, ethnic, and social groups.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships and partnerships; maintain confidentiality, professionalism, and maturity in handling sensitive information, participant interaction, and community relations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Must possess a proficiency working with Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to successfully navigate through the Internet, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other applicable software.
This position will require occasional independent travel between headquarters, outreach communities as well as training and meeting venues. The Outreach Specialist must always maintain a valid Driver’s License and insurance coverage on personal vehicle during employment.
Gang Alternative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.
This position shall have access to information in a personnel and client’s record only to the extent that such information is required to carry out job duties. Any information obtained will only be used by or disclosed to those who have a need to know to ensure the provision of quality client care. Staff and client information are held in strict confidence.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties required of personnel so classified. Responsibilities, knowledge, skill, abilities and working conditions may be supplemented or revised at any time.
To apply for this career fill out the form below
- Driver & Operations Support
- Outreach Specialist
- After School Instructor
- Natural Helper
- Certified Teacher
- Case Manager, At-Risk Youth Development Program
- Employment Specialist, At-Risk Youth Development Program
- Data Specialist
- Program Coordinator, Youth Substance Abuse Prevention Programming
- Program Coordinator/Outreach Coordinator, Mission Educate
- Program Manager, School Violence Prevention Program
- Case Manager, Mission Educate
- Case Manager, School Violence Prevention Program
- Program Manager, Youth Re- entry Program
- Job Developer, Youth Re-entry Program
- Case Manager, Youth Re-entry Program
- Therapist (Part-Time)
- Director of People & Culture (for a non-profit organization)
- Program Manager, Therapeutic Intervention Programs
- Job Developer, Workforce Development Department
- VIP Part-time Driver
- Tutor/Certified Teacher (Math Specialization)
- Youth Prevention Specialist
- Site Coordinator
- Therapist (Miami-Dade County)
- Case Manager, UPLIFT Service Partnership
- Therapist (Homestead)