of Character (BLOC)
- Positive Youth Development
- Building Leaders of Character (BLOC)
- Guiding the Path to Success (GPS)
- Kids Splash
- Nap Tann
- Not-In-Our-School (NIOS)
- Project SELFI (Sex Education Through Learning and Family-Involvement)
- Reducing Incidences of Sexual Risk through Education (RISE)
- Risk Education and Supportive Interventions for Safe Teens (RESIST)
- Violence Intervention Program (VIP)
- Violence Intervention Through Community Engagement (VICE)
- We Will Wait (W3)
- Youth Excellence Program (YEP Broward)
- Youth Excellence Program (YEP)
- Youth Splash
Building Leaders of Character (BLOC)
Middle and high school students
Communities in North Miami
After-school program that empowers youth to realize their full potential
Youth are valued and have meaningful, decision-making roles in our community. Involving and engaging them as equal partners is reflected both in our afterschool and summer programs.
BLOC supports and engages all youth, regardless of where they are on the continuum from high-risk to gifted. We recognize, however, the need to identify and respond to specific problems such as substance use, poor school attendance and low grades.
BLOC provides youth with homework assistance, critical life-skills such as anger management, communication, entrepreneurship, college planning, job coaching and fun field trips throughout the school year and summer. It is under our Positive Youth Development Pillar of Service.
Some examples of support may include core subject tutoring, SAT/ACT prep, personalized learning techniques that empower participants to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom.
Youth are taught that everyone is unique and stands out in their own special way. BLOC participants also learn different ways to deal with anger and how to build healthy relationships.
High school students attend Mondays and Thursdays from 3-6 p.m. and middle school students attend on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 4:30-6:30 p.m. Free transportation is available for qualifying students.
Funded by the Children’s Trust.