Youth Prevention Specialist
Gang Alternative, Inc. implements various programs under its Positive Youth Development Pillar of Service. All of these programs use evidence-based curricula and are delivered either in school or in an out-of-school (after school program) setting and are targeted to elementary, middle, and high school students.
They focus on youth substance abuse prevention; healthy relationships including social and ‘romantic’ relationships; violence prevention; and/or HIV/STI education.
The Youth Prevention Specialists are responsible for facilitating sessions of evidence-based curricula and identifying additional needs of students through screening and assessments.
Youth Prevention Specialists serve as liaisons to school personnel as well as community partners.
Outreach is a key component of fulfilling this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate in-school and community-based (after-school) sessions using evidence-based curricula, while maintaining fidelity to the models.
- Conduct intakes, and assessments, identify student needs, and link students to services.
- Administer evaluation tools and collect program data.
- Assist with coalition activities and initiatives to educate community stakeholders on substance use issues.
- Maintain systems, procedures, and methods for programmatic record-keeping while ensuring accuracy.
- Attend funder trainings, staff trainings, and meetings to improve professional skills and enhance the program activities.
- Serve as an Ambassador of Gang Alternative, Inc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in, Social Work, Education, Social Science, Criminal Justice, or related field.
- Preferably, two years of experience serving youth and families preferably in the areas of education, outreach, and case management.
- Have a fun, positive attitude!
- Youth engaging skills including classroom management.
- Demonstrated facilitation and public speaking skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, cultural competence, and ability to work effectively with youth and adult volunteers in a collaborative, team-oriented approach.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, professionalism and maturity in handling sensitive information, participant interaction, and community relations.
- Ability to organize, plan, and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to manage time efficiently and meet deadlines.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish/Kreyol is strongly preferred.
- This position may require independent travel between workstation and other sites. Consequently, the incumbent must always maintain valid Driver’s License and insurance coverage on personal vehicle during
- Performing the duties of this position requires the ability to walk, sit, stand, reach, talk, hear and lift presentation materials, including equipment.
- Gang Alternative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen based on ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.
- Gang Alternative, Inc. is a Drug-Free Workplace.
Gang Alternative, Inc. will offer a competitive compensation package including base salary, health, 403b, and vacation benefits.
This position shall have access to information in a personnel and client’s record only to the extent that such information is required to carry out job duties. Any information obtained will only be used by or disclosed to those who have a need to know to ensure the provision of quality client care. Staff and client information’s are to be held strictly confidential.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties required of personnel so classified. Responsibilities, knowledge, skill, abilities and working conditions may be supplemented or revised at any time.
To apply for this career fill out the form below
- Job Developer, Workforce Development Department
- VIP Part-time Driver
- Program Manager, Project GO (Growth Opportunity)
- Academic Success Coach
- Tutor/Certified Teacher
- Youth Prevention Specialist
- Case Manager, Workforce Development Department
- Part-time Certified Teacher (Afterschool Program)
- Site Coordinator
- Part-Time Afterschool Certified Teacher
- Public Policy/Coalition Internship
- Program Officer (UPSCM)
- Program Manager, HIV/STI Prevention Program
- Therapist (Miami-Dade County)
- Therapist (South Dade/ Homestead Area)
- Public Policy/Coalition Manager
- Care Coordinator, UPLIFT Service Partnership
- Family Support Specialist (Spanish Speaker)
- Therapist (Homestead)
- Employment Specialist, EFFECT
- Youth Prevention Specialist, Violence Intervention Project (VIP), Afterschool Program
- Substance Abuse Therapist/Addiction Counselor