Academic Success Coach
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide career guidance and counseling including determining student needs for services; determining areas of interest for declaring a major; coordinating support for ACT/SAT preparation; supporting: application for financial aid, application for colleges, resume review, job search strategies, cover letter writing, career interest inventories, and connections with career resources.
- Provide academic support for Gang Alternative, Inc.’s students to ensure grade advancement and ultimately high school graduation.
- Develop and maintain student files including individual career plans and accompanying case notes
- Collaborate with relevant school staff on workshop delivery, career assessment, and post-secondary transition activities including planning and executing college tours, and information sessions with military personnel and employers, in an effort to establish a working relationship with future high school graduates and their parents.
- Ensure that all students are on an identified career pathway before high school completion.
- Coordinating leadership development and service-learning opportunities for students.
- Attend scheduled professional networking events to secure potential part-time, summer, and full-time (post-secondary) employment leads for program participants.
- Act as a liaison with the schools that GA’s services.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Social Work, or related field.
- Minimum of two (2) years relevant experience in career counseling; case management and/or providing training, mentoring, support to diverse youth.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience working with youth programs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong writing skills.
- Being bilingual (Creole, Spanish) would be an asset.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Must be able to pass drug screening and Level 2 background check.
- Ability to effectively engage students, their parents, and school administrators.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to be flexible is required (hours, job functions, etc.)
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to prioritize projects and handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to prepare and execute deliverables.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- Ability to problem solve, and make decisions.
- Ability to carry out responsibilities and adapt to changing needs and goals
- Ability to administer assessment and employ intervention strategies.
- Ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
- Positive and team-oriented attitude.
- Ability to set appropriate limits and boundaries with adults/students.
- Ability to act decisively when necessary to protect the students.
- Other duties as assigned.
The list of duties and responsibilities in this job description is not intended to be exhaustive. Gang Alternative, Inc. reserves the right to revise this job description as needed to comply with actual job requirements.
- This position requires independent travel between workstation and other sites. Consequently, the incumbent must maintain valid Driver’s License and insurance coverage on personal vehicle at all times during employment.
- Performing the duties of this position requires the ability to walk, sit, stand, reach, talk, hear and lift presentation materials, including equipment.
This is an outstanding opportunity to be a part of a highly-effective nonprofit program and partnering with the other members of the GA team. Gang Alternative, Inc. will offer a competitive compensation package including base salary, health, 403b and vacation benefits.
Gang Alternative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.
This position shall have access to information in a personnel and client’s record only to the extent that such information is required to carry out job duties. Any information obtained will only be used by or disclosed to those who have a need to know to ensure the provision of quality client care. Staff and client information are to be held strictly confidential.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties required of personnel so classified. Responsibilities, knowledge, skill, abilities and working conditions may be supplemented or revised at any time.
To apply for this career fill out the form below
- Job Developer, Workforce Development Department
- VIP Part-time Driver
- Program Manager, Project GO (Growth Opportunity)
- Academic Success Coach
- Tutor/Certified Teacher
- Youth Prevention Specialist
- Case Manager, Workforce Development Department
- Part-time Certified Teacher (Afterschool Program)
- Site Coordinator
- Part-Time Afterschool Certified Teacher
- Public Policy/Coalition Internship
- Program Officer (UPSCM)
- Program Manager, HIV/STI Prevention Program
- Therapist (Miami-Dade County)
- Therapist (South Dade/ Homestead Area)
- Public Policy/Coalition Manager
- Care Coordinator, UPLIFT Service Partnership
- Family Support Specialist (Spanish Speaker)
- Therapist (Homestead)
- Employment Specialist, EFFECT
- Youth Prevention Specialist, Violence Intervention Project (VIP), Afterschool Program
- Substance Abuse Therapist/Addiction Counselor