Reports To: Program Manager, Youth Excellence Program
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time
WORK LOCATION: Miami-Dade County
The Youth Excellence Program (YEP) is a comprehensive evidence-based program that
teaches LifeSkills to middle and high school students. The YEP Youth Prevention
Specialist serves as liaison to school personnel where children attend to maintain grade
reports and monitor student progress. YEP’s Youth Prevention Specialist is responsible
for providing case management services including: outreach and recruitment; screening;
administering assessments; preparing client development plans; creating and maintaining
client files; facilitating sessions; coordinating client development activities; monitoring and
tracking client progress including administering data collection and evaluation
instruments; and resource development including linking clients to appropriate support
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conduct outreach and execute recruitment processes consistent with the
program goals and objectives.
• Conduct client intakes, eligibility verification and documentation according to
funder and Gang Alternative, Inc.’s guidelines.
• Evaluate clients’ appropriateness for program participation, maintaining written
documentation detailing contacts made with client.
• Administer assessments and utilize assessment results to inform the
development of the clients’ development plans.
• Provide guidance and monitor individual client activities as outlined in their
development plan in order to track progress of individual clients toward attainment
of identified goals.
• Facilitate sessions using prescribed curricula and evidence-based practices (e.g.
Botvin Lief Skills)
• Provide case management services, training, academic guidance and
mentorship to clients as needed.
• Accurately track, input data, and maintain comprehensive case files (physical
and electronic) with fidelity for clients in compliance with external regulatory
standards and agency policy and procedure.
• Build and maintain key relationships within clients and maintain contact with them
based upon their risk/need and provide appropriate guidance.
• Conduct frequent one-on-one client sessions, applying effective 1:1 techniques.
• Build and maintains professional working relationships with other team members;
school personnel. and community service providers.
• Attend scheduled meetings and participate in scheduled activities
deemed necessary by the Program Manager or other Senior
Management Staff to include community meetings and community
• Follow all requirements and guidelines of program funders under guidance of
• Conduct level-of-care determinations that have integrity and conform with agency
and governance mandates, while concurrently ensuring that clients receive the
information required towards making informed choices regarding program
• Collect and input data into prescribed database(s) for ongoing supervisory and
• Coordinate links to appropriate support services and provide appropriate
• Effectively manage conflict as it arises Conflict Management skills and
• Promotes an inclusive, safe and supportive environment where all clients will be
assured that they can and will be heard.
• Prepare reports, as required, for submission to funder and other partners via
• Keep supervisor informed of day-to-day activities, significant events or conditions
impacting on client and/or staff well-being, team safety, and office operations.
• Serves as an Ambassador of Gang Alternative, Inc.
• Implement navigational case management with performance excellence and
• Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
• Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology or related degree.
Master’s Degree in Social Work preferred.
• Minimum of three (3) years relevant experience in counseling and case
management and/or providing training, mentoring, support to diverse
• Ability to maintain confidentiality, professionalism and maturity in handling
sensitive information, client interaction and community relations.
• Demonstrated experience in developing relationships with clients and service
• Knowledge of case management principles, objectives, standards, and methods.
• Knowledge of Miami-Dade County community and government service delivery
and case management delivery systems.
• Knowledge of motivational interviewing concepts and techniques.
• Strong leadership, organizational and analytical skills.
• Ability to organize, plan, and manage multiple tasks.
• Ability to manage time efficiently and meet deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to take a collaborative, team-oriented approach.
• Ability to work with and engage individuals of diverse backgrounds.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
• Skill to communicate ideas and instructions clearly and concisely.
• Skill to coordinate with other staff, departments, officials, agencies,
organizations, and the public.
• Must be able to pass a level once clearance.
• Must possess a proficiency working with Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to
successfully navigate through the Internet, Excel, Power Point, and other
• CCM, LCSW, BSW, MSW certification or degrees are a plus
• Bilingual (Creole, Spanish) skills a plus.
• Other duties as assigned.
• This position may require independent travel between work station and other
sites. Consequently, the incumbent must maintain valid Driver’s License and
insurance coverage on personal vehicle at all times during employment.
• Performing the duties of this position requires the ability to walk, sit, stand, reach,
talk, hear and lift presentation materials, including equipment.
Gang Alternative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the
basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability,
marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.
Gang Alternative, Inc. is a Drug-Free Workplace.
This is an outstanding opportunity to be a part of a highly-effective nonprofit program
and partnering with the other members of the Middle Management team. Gang
Alternative, Inc. will offer a competitive compensation package including base salary,
health, 403b and vacation benefits.
This position shall have access to information in a personnel and client’s record only to
the extent that such information is required to carry out job duties. Any information
obtained will only be used by or disclosed to those who have a need to know to ensure
the provision of quality client care. Staff and client information’s is to be held strictly
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of
work performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all
duties required of personnel so classified. Responsibilities, knowledge,
skill, abilities and working conditions may be supplemented or revised at